page-cover-attachment

Bantayog ng Kiangan” or Kiangan Shrine marks the capture of General Tomoyuki Yamashita, the “Tiger of Malaya” and the highest commander of the Japanese Imperial Army, whose fall also marked the end of World War II.

General Yamashita and his remaining forces were pressured by the unrelenting onslaught of the combined United States Army Forces in the Far East (USAFFE) and the Philippine guerrilla movement in Kiangan’s forested and once-entrenched Nabulaguian Hill. Following almost a month of bombardment, General Yamashita eventually yielded to the Allied Forces on 02 September 1945 at the old Kiangan Central School (KCS). The 66th Infantry Regiment which captured General Yamashita consisted of Igorot fighters.

After an overnight stay in Kiangan with his wearied battle forces, General Yamashita was brought on 03 September 1945 by a helicopter to Baguio City, where he formally signed surrender documents before American forces at Camp John Hay.

The fall of General Yamashita is commemorated every 2nd of September as “Victory Day” as it also marked the liberation of the Philippines from the oppressive Japanese rule.

The shrine was erected on 09 July 1975 under Proclamation No. 1460 by former President Ferdinand Marcos. PVAO started operation and administration of the shrine on 16 October 1975.

For further information about the shrine, please contact:

GLENN T. BAYAWON

Shrine Curator II

0936-809-0304

or

Philippine Veterans Affairs Office

Veterans Memorial and Historical Division

Camp Aguinaldo, Quezon City

911-4296 / www.pvao.gov.ph