event attachment


Feb 03 2024


All Day

Liberation of Tagaytay

Liberation of Tagaytay / Tagaytay City, Cavite

Hoping to continue achieving tactical surprise by having troops on Tagaytay Ridge before dark on 1 February 1945, Lt. Gen. Robert Eichelberger directed the 11th Airborne Division to swiftly advance inland. Thinking that the entire division, including the 511th Infantry, could assemble on Tagaytay Ridge on 2 February, Lt. Gen. Eichelberger asked the Fifth Air Force to drop the parachutists on 2 February instead of 3 February as originally planned. He also requested GHQ SWPA to ship the entire 19th Infantry, 24th Division, to Nasugbu from Mindoro to protect the 11th Airborne Division’s line of communications to Tagaytay Ridge and release all the airborne unit for the advance toward Manila. The Fifth Air Force replied affirmatively, but General MacArthur agreed to only make another battalion of the 19th Infantry available in addition to what was already under Eichelberger’s control and loading for Luzon.

On February 3, the 188th Infantry met no resistance when it began rounding a bare ridge nose on the north side of a sharp bend on Route 17 at the western end of Tagaytay Ridge. Japanese troops holding another steep, bare ridge nose south of the bend then opened fire with rifle, machine gun, and mortar that was augmented by artillery fire from emplacements north of the highway. Leaving one battalion to deal with this new opposition, the rest of the reinforced regiment pressed on to Tagaytay Ridge made contact with men of the 511th Parachute Infantry.

The 511th Parachute Infantry Regiment, 11th Airborne Division, 8th Army of the US Armed Forces, executed the first parachute landing in the Philippines on February 3, 1945. Amidst heavy artillery fired by the enemy troops, the 511th Parachute Infantry Regiment succeeded in dropping supplies and personnel, and in the process, succeeded in securing the city. The drop was also critical in the Liberation of Manila and other fronts of the Battle of Luzon as the troops proceeded in battalions towards Manila and encountered occasional Japanese resistance in the towns of Imus and Las Piñas before engaging the Japanese at the Parañaque River.