Landing in San Narciso, Zambales
Landing in San Narciso, Zambales / San Narciso, Zambales
The Bloodless Landing in San Narciso on January 29, 1945 is one of the many amphibious landings that the Allied Forces conducted in the earlier part of the liberation campaign which intended to secure the Bataan peninsula to prevent longer enemy resistance. Together with the towns of San Felipe and San Antonio, San Narciso was a crucial part of the Allied liberation plan. Following the success of this landing, strategic points in Luzon were also captured, including: San Marcelino airstrip; Subic Bay for Allied shipping; Olongapo’s port facilities; and the Highway 7 to Dinalupihan, which would prevent the enemy forces’ withdrawal into Bataan.
Early in the morning of January 29, 1945, around 30,000 troops of the XI Corps, led by Major General Charles P. Hall of the Eight Army of the United States, landed on the shores of San Narciso, Zambales. XI Corps was composed of the 38th Infantry Division, 34th Infantry Regimental Combat Team, and other attached units. The US Army was mostly unopposed due to the Filipino guerrillas of the La Paz Sector, Zambales Military District, who cleared the area of Japanese presence ahead of the landings.
Initially, the beach was to be subjected to a bombing in the instance of Japanese counterattacks. However, the American forces were instead greeted by Filipino civilians who were celebrating their arrival along the shores. First Lieutenant Aureliano Tadena and two other guerrilla members, boarding a banca, closed in on the Allied ships to inform Admiral Arthur D. Struble, commander of the landing forces, that American and Philippine flags are already flying in the area after the guerrillas cleared San Narciso of any Japanese presence.