The Agency's Mandates and Functions
The Mandate of the Philippine Veterans Affairs Office is derived from the 1987 Philippine Constitution which guarantees that:
Section 7, Article XVI
“The State shall provide immediate and adequate care, benefits, and other forms of assistance to war veterans and veterans of military campaigns, their surviving spouses and orphans. Funds shall be provided therefore and due consideration shall be given them in the disposition of agricultural lands of the public domain and, in appropriate cases, in the utilization of natural resources.”
Section 13, Article II
“The State recognizes the vital role of the youth in nation-building and shall promote and protect their physical, moral, spiritual, intellectual, and social well-being. It shall inculcate in the youth patriotism and nationalism, and encourage their involvement in public and civic affairs.”
The agency’s two-pronged mandates are further defined by Presidential Decree Number 1, series of 1972 as implemented by Letter of Instruction (LOI) No. 19, and reiterated in the Administrative Code of 1987, as follows:
- Formulate and promulgate, subject to the approval of the Secretary of National Defense, policies, rules and regulations governing the adjudication and administration of veterans claims and benefits;
- Adjudicate and administer benefits, pensions and other privileges granted to veterans, their heirs and beneficiaries;
- Provide medical care and treatment to veterans pursuant to existing laws;
- Administer, develop and maintain military shrines;
- Formulate policies concerning the affairs, placement and training of ex-servicemen, and assist their widows and dependents, and other retired military personnel.
A dynamic, committed, and effective organization imbued with the highest standards of integrity, competence, and professionalism in delivering benefits and services to all veterans, and their beneficiaries, promoting their general welfare and perpetuating the memory of their heroic deeds.
Deliver veterans' benefits and services with utmost dedication, efficiency, and compassion to improve their general welfare and to perpetuate the memory of Veterans' heroic deeds.